over the last few months i’ve been trying to slowly move my entire skin care routine to be a more natural and diy type. i’ve been waiting for my current skin care items to run out so i can make them myself as time goes by.
the first thing that i am making is makeup remover!
with having three children and very little time i personally prefer using wipes or pads so i can quickly take it off and i don’t procrastinate and sleep in my makeup. i ordered a set of mason jars (i ordered 16oz jars instead of 4oz! oops), got my hands on some witch hazel, castile soap and raided my cupboards for coconut oil. i had every intention to buy liquid coconut oil but i ran out of my old makeup remover before i got around to buying it so classic coconut oil it is! i also got out two different skin friendly essential oils that would be gentle on my face.
homemade makeup remover pads
you will also need a glass bowl for mixing and a funnel to make your life easier. if you don’t have a funnel like i didn’t, you can use a turkey baster like i did for when your feeling desperate and no longer feel like adding the mixture into the mason jar by the spoonful.
1) with your glass bowl add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
2) add in 3 teaspoons of witch hazel and 3 teaspoons of castile soap.
3) add in 8 drops of lavender essential oil and 8 drops of cypress essential oil.
lavender essential oil will soothe and nourish your skin. it will also assist in treating acne, healing your skin and reduce the appearance of dark spots. cypress essential oil will also fight against acne, awaken your complexion, regulate blood flow and has an overall toning effect.
4) i poured 2.5 cups of distilled water in the bowl and mixed everything together until all of the coconut oil was dissolved.
5) once all of the ingredients were mixed together i stuffed my mason jar with cotton makeup pads. i purchased a package of 100 pads and i will guess around 70 pads fit inside the jar.
6) this is were i transferred my mixture into my mason jar. i couldn’t find my funnel so i started to scoop spoonfuls of makeup remover in the mason jar which was, obviously, taking foreveeer. once i got tired of doing that i rummaged around my kitchen and found a turkey baster. i used that to put the remainder of the makeup remover in to the mason jar (and it worked like a charm!)
here is the final product!
i am loving it so far. it is gentle on my face and the pads are so convenient at night when i just want to get to bed.
i’m running low on toner so that may be the next thing i make <3